
For each course in our program, we have been asked to participate in web conferences. I think this is an excellent way to discuss what we are doing in class, to get new ideas, and to clarify instructions and expectations. It makes me feel better about the process when I can hear my colleagues question some of the same issues I am having; I don’t feel as isolated as I could by being in an off-campus, online program. I enjoy talking to the professors, and hearing how they really are interested in me as an individual and how I am progressing.
On the down side, we do experience technical difficulties quite a bit. I’m never sure of what the cause is – is it on my end or theirs! Unfortunately, that takes away from the experience at times, but we always try to work together to get technology to do what we need it to do. So in that respect, it’s nice to know that difficulties are experienced everywhere, not just in my own classroom.
Because this is new to us, we are working our way through the proper way to operate once in the conference room. If audio and video are working properly, it is much easier to follow the conversation, and let the professor keep us in line and in focus. When audio isn’t working, it becomes very difficult to follow when extra conversations get started in the chat window. I think we could probably try using the hand-raise option, and some of the other tools available during those times.
Overall, I enjoy the conferences and find them, most of the time, to be a useful tool.
No comments:
Post a Comment